Monday, May 9, 2011

Patience is a Virtue.

Since the other version of this post randomly deleted itself, I will give the shorter version here. We bought the remaining supplies and got to work on finished out glorious garden. I'll start with the pictures this time, because I'm that excited about it!!

































Up top, there's the garden before the fencing and on the bottom is the final product with its safe protection from Koopie.

Now, we just have to sit and wait. [Insert blog post title here]. Which, if you know me, is something I lack. Definitely seems silly now since my mom almost named me Patience Paige-haha! ...I'm not kidding about that name, by the way... It's something I will have to come to terms with, however, because if I don't I'm going to go crazy. Thank goodness we planted some basil and rosemary plants that I can pick right off of (I've made some great dinners with that stuff). I'll just sit here (im)patiently and kiss my (non)green thumb for good luck. I can only hope for the best. I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO GROW SOMETHING, RIGHT? :):)

So, we'll be looking for the following results:
1. Spinach - Sprouts? Leaves? Can I have something, please?
2. Cukes - I was unwise as to how these would even grow until today. Apparently they're a vine veggie. Interesting!
3. Strawberries - They're BO-GO at the grocery store right now and it's killing me not buying any because I know that any day now I'll be able to sink my teeth into my very own steroid-free/non-genetically engineered ones. Yum.
4. Carrots - They have green sprouts when they're ready, right? Hopefully. That way, I'll know when to pull them out of the ground!!
5. Tomatoes - See #3.

Other than sitting and waiting, we're watering and pruning the garden daily. Let me tell ya, those two things sound easy, but they're not. A few times when we first started the garden, we forgot to water it. Not good. We had to come up with a better system. Gardening tip #6: Pick a time at night, (as we learned is the best time to water your garden to avoid boiling the roots), and set an alarm on your phone. Make it go off daily, and you'll always remember to water the garden! It'll make it easier to schedule it into your nightly routine and maybe the consistency will even help your little buggers grow better.

As for pruning, that comes a bit easier since you can do it during the day, maybe after breakfast or when you let the dog out to pee. I've been told it's very good to pick the dead leaves or flowers off of your plants so they can continue to flourish. If they keep sending the nutrients to the dead leaves, they can't get to the living leaves. So it's best to keep them pruned and healthy looking.

Well, I'll leave you with that. Of course, I'll keep ya posted on the growth of the garden. Until next time...

¡AdiĆ³s!
--Gardener in Training

No comments:

Post a Comment